Monday, September 29, 2008

Memorable, Beautiful, Priceless 20 hour road trip






Ariana and I headed home yesterday at 7:30 in the morning. We went down the Pacific Coast Highway this time, giving ourselves full permission to stop whenever we passed something that just might look cool. With cliffs and ocean to our right, mountains and changing leaves to our left, and a beautiful cloud of fog over all of it, we had a little trouble staying in the car at all. We stopped at Monterey, Carmel by the Sea, a few random Vista Points, saw the elephant seals, ate in San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura. It was maybe the most gorgeous drive of my life, and so exciting. And Peaceful. If it's possible to cram those two feelings in at once.
We also stopped in LA and met John's dad, who was so sweet to us and talked to us for like an hour and a half. We had thought it might be weird to just show up, but John had warned him, and it was really just so fun.

Lastly, at 8pm, we stopped at Marina Del Rey (my favorite George Strait song, and a beautiful beach) and just chilled for a little bit. And then headed home.
Freeways in LA SUCK, in case you're wondering. Besides being like 20 of them, they branch of a zillion times with no warning and its a little terrifyiing. And John completely saved my life in this aspect. He told us step by step how to get everywhere and then called about every 10 minutes to make sure we really took the turns we were supposed to. Thank goodness. We almost got good there at the end.
The ride home from LA was less eventful. After 16 hours, my body gave up on driving, and Ariana and I switched. We didn't make it home until 3, but it was definitely a day to remember. :o)

7 comments:

MindySue said...

sounds like a beautiful day. i loved your pictures. i saw the coast and thought for a second that you were up our way and was going to SMACK you (even though we are still 4.5 hours from the coast). congrats on your lovely adventure.

Anonymous said...

This was one of the best days of my life, even dealing with LA traffic!

Basically, everyone should be jealous.

Anonymous said...

And I'd like to point out that we're also pro at taking pictures while the car is still moving.

"No one's behind us? Okay, I'm slowing down..."

Jessica McIntyre said...

You and Ari look gorgeous in the picture of you two.

indeazgirl said...

thanks, jess.

RC said...

I agree you both look so good. I wish I had your flair for adventure but glad sometimes I do not. I have driven that road (HWY 1) and did not find it near as exciting as you. Like mom always accuses me of "getting from point A to point B in a little time as possible". That's my style or "the way I roll"!

breymom said...

I love your euphoric smiles on Ariana's blog they say it all! Congrats on the race, wish I was that in shape.