Monday, September 29, 2008

Once Again, Did Not Drown. Whew.









So the Triathlon was on Saturday morning. The reason I haven't posted since it happened was that I got home at 3am this morning from the longest, most memorable drive ever. But that's the next post.
Bekah is my friend from nursing school who helped me truly survive that experience. And Ariana is my friend from here. And they both somehow were able to do this with me and I love them for it.
So Friday night I got into San Jose. I had taken the I-5, which is possibly the most boring Interstate ever and if I ever think about taking it again please punch me. But it was fast, and I needed to get to the airport to get Ariana. I met Bekah at her place in Campbell, which is so cute, and then we drove to get Ariana. We all went to Outback to eat and then drove the 30 miles to Pleasanton where the triathlon was. We stayed at this fun Marriott and then crashed!
None of us slept that well, but we were up at 6:30, scrambling to remember all our stuff (including our bikes!) and headed out. We got there only about 40 minutes before the race started, empty stomachs and all. We went scouring for food, and at first only found GU energy gel. This is a picture of Ariana trying to not puke as she attempts to eat a Vanilla Bean GU for breakfast.

Luckily, soon afterwards we found fun size Luna Bars and Bagels. Whew!
Ariana's age group was first, then mine, then Bekah's.
I thought there was an age group between Ariana and me, but there wasn't. So I'm dropping off the cameras near the bikes when I hear, "Wave ages 25-29 starts in 2 minutes." Ahh!! I threw the cameras down, booked it across the sand, trying to put on my swim cap at the same time and jumped into the water. Only for them to then announce we had another 3 minutes. Give me a stinkin' heart attack. And then I waited for the race to start.
The only time I ever get scared during a triathlon is in the water before the race. It is literally everything I can do not to walk out of the lake and be like "check ya later!" Terrifying, actually. I quickly forgot everything I had practiced with breathing and just tried to calm down and make it. And I did. We all did, and did great. Bekah caught up to me for the end of the run and we finished the last mile together. Ariana got a sweet picture of us crossing the finish line, which I'm guessing will be on her blog soon. We took so many pictures and had so so much fun. Oh! Our times:
Ariana 1hr 8 min
Bekah 1 hr 12 min
Christin 1 hr 22 min
I think we're all a little hooked...

7 comments:

MindySue said...

holy crap i am so impressed! you have some sexy arms, girl! i can't even imagine doing a triathalon and am just in awe of your athletic abilities. please reach around and pat your own back for me. way to go!

Sweet Em said...

You have a smoking body girl! I'm glad you survived! Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Just in case anyone is wondering, vanilla bean gu is NOT the breakfast of champions, though it could potentially be the breakfast for bulimics.

And you totally rocked this triathlon, plus looked hot as you finished. I'll get the picture up as soon as my computer is working...

Anonymous said...

Even though you told me all of this on the phone it was still fun to read. I love the pictures and the seals. I want to be you when I grow up.

Suzette Selden said...

How fun! A trip to remember. That is so impressive you did a triathalon.

Katie said...

wow! way to go!

Jessica McIntyre said...

Zoey and I think you are amazing.