Saturday, February 07, 2009

The '90's are officially over.

Oh, you say, they ended 9 years ago? Really? Well, not for all of us. This has been pointed out most recently to me by both Bridget and John. And today, especially John. 
So John and I both had the day off today, which actually hasn't happened in quite a while. So we decided to spend it together. (Shocking, I know) Originally the plan was to go to Sedona, but I didn't really make a good plan for that or get ready early enough, so instead we spent 5 hours shopping. No, I don't know how I got him to spend that ridiculous amount of time shopping with me. I almost died myself. And yes, I did buy a dress that was a little hot that I didn't need because he thought it was great, but I think that's to be expected. (Oh, we also had a very fun lunch at Benihana, but I have to wait for Brad to track down a video clip for me before I can post a little about that.) 
So anyways, as we go along this happened on more than one occasion:
Me: "That is a Terrible shirt."
Him: "That is a great shirt."
US: Really?
Now there is one main reason why I trust John's opinion at least as much as my own:
1. He's from LA. People generally are a little more put-together and trendy in LA than in Idaho, I imagine, as a general rule, what with all the celebrities living there and stuff. So I will listen to John since he obviously knows all the rules for living in warmer western United States. Which is also why my hair is worn straight at least 50% more often since he's come around. 
The reason he got points today is:
1. The first pair of shoes he picked up for me were black pumas which I'd wanted for at least 3 years. 
So today when I thought something was terrible or he thought something was terrible I actually thought about it. Now don't get me wrong, there were plenty of things we did agree on while shopping. One was an $86 shirt that I didn't end up getting. Along with 3 pairs of shoes and that dress. We could not agree about the orange J. Crew shirt I loved or about the checkered Roxy shoes that he thought were just great. 
The words "so 90's" and "white trash" were thrown about probably more than I usually use them in a year. Okay, so I never use the phrase "so '90's." 
And this got me to thinking about the '90's-ness of my wardrobe. There's a lot of it in there. Or there was. Apparently when you're 29 things can actually go out of style while you are still in college!! (Or just hanging around people who are. Grad school should probably be a wardrobe warning sign.) So when I got home, everything taking up space in my closet circa 2002 or before was put in the Buckle bag to be taken to DI tomorrow. And a few shirts that I just know John thinks are awful or that I haven't worn in a few years. This includes a bunch of shoes that I've been in denial about for a while. And some red capris that Candice gave me once that really I feel weird wearing every time. 
Um, Bridget, I'm going to need my Anthropologie shirt back soon. I have a lot fewer clothes now!!



3 comments:

breymom said...

This is exactly how I feel! Just don't get rid of your see through country looking shirt from the buckle I LOVE that shirt! And I saw a girl today at the park wearing a side pony tail, they are still in the eighties in Id. and not the return eighties but the original clothes and hair that never change 80's!YIKES!

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is John making another appearance on the comment section. So first off I spent more time shopping with Christin than I have cumulatively in the past 5 years for myself... minimum. Secondly how many people have any of you seen wear solid orange shirts in your day to day lives??? Anyone? Oh nobody you say, that's because that right is bestowed upon construction workers and crossing guards. So unless you are thinking of a career change Christin stick to something not plain orange(don't get me wrong if you want something that has a pattern and it has orange in it that's a different ball game, but you wearing plain orange reminds me of a creamsicle,orange exterior & white interior). I know I may seem harsh in this comment but generally I'm not a harsh person. But when it comes to helping people not wear circa 1990's clothing anymore I do what it takes, and I think the world of Christin so hopefully she understands. Third item of business we did pick out some great shoes and one pair I cant wait until we find your size in, those were some hot heels! So all in all Christin is looking more fabulous than many of you remember and yes her hair done straight is hot too! Here's to the 90's and the distant memory I am trying to make them, BYE 90's (and white trash)! Another great adventure Christin!

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

2 Things... totally forgot I had it! Along with your dustbuster sitting by my door! Will return when I surface.

And the second. I own the checkered Roxy shoes. They are heaven on your feet... there is a reason I love that J Money so much... he has such great taste! Haha!

I am glad we will no longer being going in and out of the past! Even though for the past year it has been somewhat comical!