Monday, May 31, 2010

$1000 seats



There are plenty of things $1000 can buy.
Ten pairs of fabulous shoes.
Serious jewelry.
Two trips to Idaho.
Two flights to College Station on Thanksgiving Day & tickets to watch the Aggies play t.u.
A superbowl ticket.
A crappy car.
Some serious furniture.
Or.... a hard lesson on the fickleness of Phoenix Suns fans.
Now, John is a frugal frugal man. He also has the mind of an entrepreneur. Which has worked for him in the past. So last week, John bought 6 playoff tickets for game 6 of the Suns vs Lakers game with the hope of selling them for a little profit. They were great seats, and cost him, ahem, $1400. The thing about this plan is that if he had been in L.A., it would have been awesome. Because Lakers fan love their Lakers no matter what. But Suns fans come and go. And this week they didn't come as much. Despite craigslist and stadium selling, John was out $1000. He sold his cheapest ticket to the hot dog stand guy for $25 and a hot dog!
That left him with two tickets left at the second quarter. So John and I saw the game 6 playoff game. Quite possibly the only playoff game I will ever see in my life. (Especially for the NBA. How on earth I've now been to 3 NBA games and no NFL games is beyond me.)
Now, John's original seats had been lower level but were an entire section apart. So he traded and made like $100 for some upper level tickets together. I don't think we had any idea just HOW upper they were. We were literally two rows from the ceiling. I don't think either of us had ever even WALKED up that far in a stadium. Luckily, the stadium is not that huge and we could still see the players names, numbers, and recognize them. It just took a little while to get used to our aerial view. It was really fun though. It was crazy sitting next to a Lakers fan (I don't know very many) and actually having someone cheer for Kobe Bryant. But our hot dogs were great, the game was very exciting, and I'm actually kind of glad we got to have our $1000 seats. (Kind of).
And yes, John had a great attitude about it. I was very impressed.

1 comment:

Jessica McIntyre said...

Oh my gosh I would NOT have had a good attitude.