Sunday, April 20, 2014

Chad.

So one of the many glorious aspects of single hood in one's 30's is the glamorous world of online dating. In the which I usually determine that I would rather be single. (Ok, I wouldn't rather be single, but I do NOT want to go anywhere near most of these guys. Seriously. It's pretty horrible.)
Anyways, I ended up talking to this guy named Chad in February who just seemed adorable. And truth be told, he is very sweet. He has 4 kids, he used to coach football for a community college in Texas (near A&M), he's active, and he and I had a lot in common. We talked and texted for a week or so and I was just so excited.
And so was everyone I told. It seemed so fun.
So we planned to meet. He lives in Utah, and I was driving up to get some chairs from Bridget for my living room and to hang out on Valentine's Day. He had a conference in Vegas, so we decided we would meet in Vegas (and have separate rooms of course) and then drive the rest of the way to Utah together.
He had it all set up with points from Marriott so he got us two rooms off the strip.
He had actually said to me before I got there, "I have no doubt you're the one."
I just thought to myself, "I am SO the wrong person to say that to!"
Anyways, I got in the car after work and drove the 4 hours to Vegas, so excited.
And then I got to my room. I had an idea that he might leave something in my room, like flowers, or a note. I did not expect, THIS:

Looking closely at this, you might notice a few things. 1- A humungous teddy bear with glow sticks. 2- glow sticks. Glow sticks? 3- Spongebob square pants valentines. 4- Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (thank goodness.)

 I was shocked. This was crazy. Not pictured were the Mickey Mouse window decals attached to the french doors that led to my room. I tried to ignore them. And then I got all cute- in my tiger shirt and took these selfies :-)
And then he showed up. And there are no pictures of the rest of that experience because it was just so awkward. All of the things I could type here sound very superficial. Like his shirt was so tight, or he didn't dress up fancy at all when he knew we were going to a fancy restaurant. Or that he makes super weird facial expressions to the point that I could not look him in the face for most of the night. Or that I tried kissing him because I thought maybe that would help and then that was also terrible. So then that was done. I had made reservations at a super fancy restaurant beforehand (I changed outfits out of this one, just an FYI :-), but it took us so long to get down the strip that we missed them and the restaurant was closed. Instead, we went to a sushi place that was insanely expensive, but good, so we each just had one roll. And then we went across the way and had this French toast, which was, um, not that good. Even though it looked like it should have been.
 We went to our separate rooms. I invited him down for room service in my room the next morning to be nice. And then we had a 6 hour road trip ahead of us. Shockingly, it wasn't that bad, because we do have a lot in common and a lot to talk about. We talked about 3 hours. We listened to music for 3 hours. I dropped him off at the airport where his Jeep was waiting. I drove to Bridget's. And fell asleep about 3 minutes later. We packed up chairs the next morning. I left the teddy bear. And then I drove home, barely missing the rain.
 I stopped at the St George Temple, I had no idea it was so beautiful. Or so white!
 And now these are in my living room. And Chad is not. He's only proposed twice since then.
Oh man.

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

Still a good experience on the road of life's lessons.

MindySue said...

Oh man indeed! I like JM better.

bradleyjohn said...

I wish it was amazing. And with the seduction skills employed in the room decorating, I am shocked that it wasn't. So shocked.

Tyler and Ariana said...

oh.my.gosh.

that room.

THAT ROOM.