Saturday, January 19, 2008

Flipping Out

I knew there was something I was leaving out about today, but apparently the excitement of driving made me forget until now. Sooo...
I am generally a very mild-mannered person, and it takes an enormous amount to really upset me. For some reason anything to do with cars lowers that threshold exponentially. Like, if my car won't start, I fall apart. (This hasn't happened in about 5 years, so I might have gotten over that by now. I don't really know.) But anyways, the DMV can get to me on some level almost every time.
So I haven't driven my car since I got it because it wasn't registered. And I couldn't register it until I got the title, which Josh still had because his friend Isaac still had it in Idaho from when HE had bought it. Josh sent it to me ExpressMail today, which means I have to sign for it (grrr...). And I was asleep. And Brad was in the shower. And if I didn't register it today I couldn't register it until Tuesday because of Martin Luther King day. Against all hope, I went to the Post Office at 3:30. Ariana, who happens to also be our neighbor, was checking her mail, so I took her along with me. The title was still out with my mail lady, and they said she'd be back by 4:30. However, 4:30 is also the cutoff time for the DMV, so that would just not work. Luckily, they told me her assigned area is very small and said I could just to drive around the neighborhood. I found a couple other mail people, and they actually gave me her name and a complex to look in, but she wasn't there. So I drove back to the post office at about 4:00, and she was back early. Sweet! I got back home at 4:11 and Brad and I quick searched for my license and jumped in the Bel Air to get to the DMV. I knew we were so close on time, so I jumped out of the car and ran inside while Brad drove around for the inspection (luckily I had registered a car of his before so I knew how this worked). I got my number at 4:29, but the guy outside was a punk and wouldn't inspect the car (which takes about 3 minutes). So I went outside and talked to him and he still wouldn't. So I went back to the information desk, and they still wouldn't. So I talked to the supervisor and he agreed that Brad WAS there at 4:29, so he did my inspection. Thank goodness. I really was going to freak. And I got sweet gold and red "Historic Car" plates, which really made the whole drama almost worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you could just learn to be cool, calm, and collected like I have been my whole life.....you'd think you would have learned from my example that you can always prevail if you kill them with kindness. That has been my motto since I can't remember when. Of course I have Ol' Timers and cannot remember ten minutes ago. How in the world did you keep from ringing the stupid idiots neck? Dad

Maria said...

Christin...WHERE HAVE YOU GONE??!! I can almost always count on a new blog from you each Monday... :) I miss them!

P.S. Kudos on charming the DMV! That IS an accomplishment!! :)