Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Christmas Kicked In


We hung up the Christmas decorations today. Oh, how exciting. So the last two Christmases I spent with my roommates in Boise, whom I totally love to death. Together, we went a little overboard for Christmas, hanging gads (a word? I think so.) of lights everywhere, down the hall, under the fireplace, across every entryway. We had beautiful vaulted ceilings and a plant shelf on which we laid cranberry garland wrapped in icicle lights. We had 4 big stockings, one for each of us, and two baby socks for the fish and the bird. Together on Christmas Eve, we gathered around the couch and Jessica, Tara, Craig, and occasionally another friend or so graciously indulged me in the Christmases of my childhood (not that anyone really minded. Christmas rocked at our apartment.) We read the Christmas story together and put together the nativity. We read The Polar Express and each shook a jingle bell. And we read "Jolly Old Santa Claus," the 1960's edition you can find only on ebay that is quite possibly the definition of a truly real Santa Claus. Then we all climbed into bed and took turns sneaking out and filling each others stockings.
So you can imagine that when I opened my Christmas boxes today I missed them all so much. I have everyone's stockings somehow (I need to find out if I need to send them back). If not, they are already hung on the fireplace. The garland is up, the books are on the coffee table, and Kenny G Christmas music is in the air.
Oh, and the snowflakes are up. The snowflakes almost deserve their own entry, as they definitely have their own stories. I got these 3 foot silver snowflakes from Target 5 years ago. (They were actaully Target's decorations). They have been loved by roommates, hated by roommates, and have ultimately gone up every single year. They have been tacked to walls and hung from ceilings in 4 different apartments. They have wrinkled "arms" and one is even missing, but they have character! And so, even though I swore I wouldn't do it again, the snowflakes are hanging.
Christmas is on its way :o)

2 comments:

Jessica McIntyre said...

Oh i miss our christmas's. I was wondering where my stocking and the wreath I bought that we turned into garland went. I got my little christmas tree up in my room, but i think that is all the christmas cheer that will be hung at my new apartments. My current roommates don't go as crazy with the Christmas flare as the last.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree those stars are the worst BUT if they bring in the Christmas Spirit then HANG 'EM HIGH and let the season flow! Dad