Thursday, November 22, 2007

I'm Dreaming of a Warm Christmas

So last night at work I was hanging out changing the bandages on a patient who was listening to country Christmas music on his TV and I caught a little Christmas spirit. I actually don't really like country christmas music that much, but for some reason I got all excited and happy inside. Now, when the annoying Applebee's Christmas music came on every December 1st, I never got excited. But we didn't listen to a lot of Beatles in my house growing up.
And I realized something. When Bing Crosby sings, "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas just like the ones I used to know" he knows that the Christmases you grew up with are the best Christmases of all.
And for me that means 60 degree Christmases that I had for 15 years. It means biking down the street in my jeans and shirt on Christmas day and looking at Christmas lights with the AC on just a little bit.
And maybe that's why, unexplainably, two days ago I felt the Christmas magic that I wait for until December 23rd some years in Idaho. Maybe there I really am so focused on not freezing to death and trying to enjoy the coldness that I miss out on some of the giddiness of the season. But now, for my first Arizona Christmas, I can plan a Christmas party and dream through Crate & Barrel and wear my shorts and have a few little sugar plum fairies dance through my head in late November as I look forward to my first Warm Christmas in 12 years. Yay!!!!

3 comments:

Jessica McIntyre said...

First i would like to thank you for reminding me that it is so cold here. it is 30 degrees and it is only 9:00 PM and the end of November. It will be a long cold winter. it has already snowed once and i had a ton of snow on my car, but it melted quickly. i was very excited an vowed to take a picture of the first snow fall and send it to you, but i don't think that one counted since it had mostly melted off the ground.

Also i must quote you on something i had never heard you say before, and it made me feel that much closer to you. Sooooo i quote "annoying Christmas music". so i took out the Applebees part, but so what.

Sweet Em said...

Bragger!

Anonymous said...

chestnuts roasting on an open fire... lalala!
I'm so excited for your christmas party!!!