Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Art of Sharing


Saturday night, Brad headed to Dallas, where he will be working for three weeks. He had worked very hard to get his Camry in working order, fixing the axles and the starter all by himself. He was so proud. And he made it all of two hours before his car broke down.
So what was I to do? I called John, who thankfully had the time, and we drove down and gave Brad my Altima. And then had Brad's car towed 97 of the 100 miles John had available through AAA to my friend Valerie's house in Casa Grande (thank you).
This however, left me with no car. But I figured I would make it work. Somehow. The Bel Air was getting re-upholstered and was on its way to Alabama come Monday. So John and I decided to share. 
Now, a car to me is the epitome of independence. It completely blows my mind when people get married and give up a car. Do you have half as many places to go now? Really? (I understand there are financial reasons, but I am always amazed at this decision.) Luckily, John works very early, and, well, I haven't been working at all, but as of today I will work for the next three. 
I have woken up earlier than ever in my life to go take John to work, but it has been kind of fun this whole sharing thing. Plus, I got it washed and got the tire filled up, and the best part of all..... BECAUSE I AM SO SO THANKFUL TO HIM FOR DOING THIS FOR ME AND MAKING THIS SO SO MUCH EASIER THAN IT WOULD OTHERWISE BE.
(Sorry this entry's getting a little long, BUT)
The console lid of John's car has been broken for 3 years. It drives me out of my ever-loving mind. I want to throw it in the back seat every time it falls off when I rest my elbow on it. So, yesterday, when he was gone, I went to the junkyard and found the part and screwed it all back together and dude, he was almost as excited as I was. 
p.s. I LOVE being a girl at the auto junkyard. Seriously, do your hair, pull out your pink screwdriver, and watch what the guys at the junkyard will find/do for you. It's a wonderful thrill, because, let me tell you, I've been to a few junkyards and I think I'm one of the ONLY girls who has been there a lot. They don't see a lot of females. And it's kind of fun to be such a novelty.

6 comments:

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

I think it is amazing that you are always up for anything! I can't wait till you are here to have some Utah adventures!

MindySue said...

you have a little pink screwdrivier!?!?! i'm so jealous. how cute. i did this one time at a car lot in Ecuador....wandered in...batted my eyes...spoke some awful spanish...and got a license plate (which was what I wanted but didn't know the words for).

Suzette Selden said...

Christin, You are going to love France! My dad and Celeste just got back from Ireland and said it was fun too. I'm so jealous of your vacation. Have fun!

Katie said...

love that picture... so funny!

Camille Elise said...

Oh my gosh, I SO want to go to the junkyard too. I've never been but it sounds exciting...you know, to make the guys their get all in a tizzy. hahaha. That sounds like fun...wish I could have seen it!

RC said...

I am so glad you and John could share and work things out so your brother could go to work. Nice couple you are. About you being a girl and the junkyard experience, how about going there and getting some sun visors and windshield wipers for your brother since he won't do it? This would eliminate having to recessitate your father every time he thinks about it.