Friday, May 08, 2009

"Word" Texting

Some of you may call this "predictive text," others "T9". Others of you have iphones or blackberries and are just "cooler than everyone else and get real letters." My phone calls it "word" text, so that's what I call it, and I'm kind of developing a loathing for this program. 
Yes, I know, texting is a modern marvel. I appreciate it. It's helpful and fun and potentially exciting, but REALLY?
  • "Ganging" gets used more than "hanging"?
  • "Might before "night" ?
  • And it's not all just alphabetical. I know. I just can't remember the ludicrous exception right now. But it's not helpful.
  • Whoo-hoo. Yay. Yeah Right.
  • Blogging is not a word in their dictionary.
  • Neither is Dave.
  • But the country of Surinam is. 
There is literally almost one word per text that is not available to me. Am I really just that verbally unique? I've taken to writing short words (like "do") and then erasing the "o" to get the letters that I want. And typing half words at a time. It's ludicrous. I get random capital letters that I don't want switching back and forth between "ABC" and "Word." And it looks like I'm on crack. AND.. I use TIME a lot in my texts. And 2:30 is not a "word." AHHHGGRRR!!! And my phone, unlike some of your cooler ones, does not learn words either. Nope. My battery might last for three awesome days, but the dumb words will always show up first. 
I have Brad to thank for me switching since he made me feel like a grandma every time I texted someone letter by letter, but at least then I never wanted to throw my phone against the wall.
I used to like my little Nokia.

10 comments:

Jessica McIntyre said...

I'm a grandma I guess because I have never been able to use it either.

breymom said...

Wow tons of recent posts on here, how fun. You hate word text... I do too! my family all have the iphones and I don't mind those but I just forgo texting on mine!

kristine [kristine. or polly.] said...

Don't forget how T9 confuses 'dating' and 'eating'... which could be very interesting...

Travis Butterfield said...

who is your carrier?

indeazgirl said...

Kristine!! Eating and dating is the stupid alphabetical one I couldn't think of! Thank you! And yes, lots of fun potential errors there!
And Travis, it's Verizon.

Bridget "Fun" Lynott said...

I have a Blackberry... I suggest you join the "IN Crowd" and get one too... Fair warning though... There is a reason it is now referred to as a "Crackberry."

RC said...

Since my antique phone doesn't even have text capabilities I have a hard time understanding it all. Mom did comment, "doesn't she know how to T-9"? You better watch out if mom is passing you in the tech no world....

Sweet Em said...

How do you know that Surinam is in their dictionary?

I'm having a REAL dilemma as Meg is in my phone but Tessa isn't. So do I "favor" Meg by spelling her name out and only using T for Tessa? Or do I use M for Meg? It really is hard work being a parent!

bradleyjohn said...

Surinam is actually spelled "Suriname."

indeazgirl said...

Well my dumb Nokia doesn't know that.