Monday, May 26, 2008

Hitting the Wall / I am Not Your Drug Dealer

Last week I worked 5 thirteen hour shifts in a row. I've done this before, and I definitely thought I could do it again. I mean, seriously, I'm only taking care of myself and what about all those single moms of the world that work 3 jobs and take care of 6 kids?
What I learned is that I am not that mom. Friday night I was cranky, and I was busy, not happy, and stressed out. I didn't want to eat, I didn't want to be there, and I was so up against a wall and not going home for 10 more hours.
Along the same train of thought, I really like people generally speaking, but there are some patients, I swear, who I would like to .....maybe that's not printable, but whom I certainly can handle for one night and not for three or four. I am NOT your drug dealer. I am here to relieve your pain, not to send you on a trip. And I love you, cute old lady, but if you don't stop talking soon, ain't nobody on this floor gonna make it through the night.
See ya!

3 comments:

RC said...

Calm down, take a deep breath and think about how your dad has taught you to be tolerant of others, no matter how difficult they are. Or just yank on their catheter.

Anonymous said...

Next time you attempt to work 5 in a row, it should be when I can come and cook you dinner and make your life easier at least 3 out of the 5 nights. K? Yes.

LaQuejadora said...

Woah, I am so impressed with the time and amount of effort you put into your job...how you feel about your patients sometimes is honestly how I feel about my kids sometimes...Kaisa if you don't stop talking and go to sleep I swear I'm gonna......