Sunday, May 11, 2008

Why Americans Do Not Ride Bikes...

I rode my bike today for the first time. And I know now why Americans are all fat and lazy. Because they are terrified of getting hit by all the freaking cars on the road! Here's a play-by-play:
I rinse off my bike helmet. It has, you see, been in storage for about 3 years. And, as Josh the ex-boyfriend (who was here for 3 hours during a layover to Boise yesterday-- FUN!) noted, there is a lovely dusty haze over the valley entitled pollution. From all the CARS. Which brings me back to the ride. 
I put on my bike helmet and decide I look like an awesome dork. So I pull my hair back, put on some jeans, and decide to take the tennis shoes out so my flip flops don't get me into my first wreck. 
And then I put on the dorky bike helmet and head out. The first obstacle is a left turn onto University. There is no getting around this, and it's a busy 5-lane road. One that I had to hang out in the "suicide lane" in for a little while. Suddenly I am very grateful for my dorky little bike helmet. I don't have to stop until McClintock, when I realize the toe traps- I mean, toe clips-- are another obstacle. They make this awful grating sound until you get your foot in, which takes a little while. Finally I'm in. 
Another mile under way. I realize my hands hurt. I practice different hand positions, but none  is really better than another. One more mile. Passing a weird intersection. Grateful it's Sunday and traffic is really sparse. My butt hurts!! Ouch. I thought this seat was comfortable. Nope. It hurts. Next time wearing different underwear. And maybe a really thick maxi pad for cushion. And maybe not jeans. 
Going around the lake. I'm finally there. Lots of little fun hills & no traffic. Think the obligatory thought of Lance Armstrong. What an ego trip to think that almost everyone who gets on a bike thinks of you for at least 15 seconds. 
It starts blowing really hard. I wonder if I possibly chose one of the 20 days of the year that it rains here to ride this thing. (No. I didn't.) 
The ride home was relatively uneventful. I realized that Rio Salado, just south of University, is much more calm. Except for the closed bike lane. And the fact that the seat grew more and more uncomfortable by the minute. I finally scooted back a bit and things felt a lot better.
As I pulled into the parking lot, a guy in a red Mustang shouted, "Good for you, baby."
Yeah. Good for me. 
 


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you go girl! Your fat daddy prefers a quad to do my ridin'. Much easier to navigate through traffic, the seat doesn't hurt the posterior and you seldom get winded. Wind or rain you can still ride FAT and HAPPY! Regardless of my preferrence, you rock, kiddo! (Lance probably used steriods).Dad

breymom said...

heeheehee that is so funny Christin! It takes a lot of courage to leave your house these days in anything without a large moter LOL! I know I feel like a duck walking my kids to the park across four lanes of traffic. Contrast this to Joe's truck where everyone moves out of the way.

Anonymous said...

You know what really amuses me? The signs that say "Tempe: A Bicycle Friendly Community." Right. Whoever put those up never tried riding one here themselves!

Jessica McIntyre said...

I feel you pain. The best way to make me work out is to have gas cost $3.70 a gallon. I have ridden my bike to the library and unfortunately have chosen very windy days making it miserable to ride on Federal Way. I miss having easy access to the Greenbelt. It made life so much easier. :-)

Katie said...

that cracked me up!

Jessica McIntyre said...

So today while dealing with a nasty head wind riding down Federal Way, I finally decided to put my seat up higher like my bike riding loving husband suggested and it worked wonders. Just wanted to give you that little tip. The seat is suppose to be as high as your hip, which I think it crazy, but it works great. Way more comfortable on the butt, I will tell you that much!!