Monday, May 19, 2008

To Compost or Not To Compost


I probably first asked my mom about composting about 15 years ago. "Gross," she said. "Do you know how bad all that rotting food would smell? Disgusting." I never really brought it up again. Until Jessica mentioned it (she's such an Earth Crusader these days!) . And then this cute picture was in SELF magazine with this cute happy girl in her little Manhattan backyard sitting on her compost bin. I can't get it out of my head!
I mean, she's so cute. And the healthier I eat (meaning, all my salad this week) the more compost I have. I threw away so many pieces of vegetables today. Inside a plastic bag! And how long would it take to turn that into dirt in this weather? A day and a half? And apparently, I can get a free "recycled composting bin" through the city of Tempe. Hopefully this doesn't mean I get traces of other people's food in it! But really, I'm running out of excuses here...
Anyways, here's a link of a newscast I found while searching for this picture and another link to the City of Tempe's helpful composting site.
Video Of Same Girl On Bin

Tempe Composting

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, she is cute. She's my daughter, and I'm so very proud of her. Thanks for the smile and laugh!

Jessica McIntyre said...

Oh I am jealous. I want to start composting but I am running into the issue of where to put it and also what to do with the dirt afterwards. That is awesome that Tempe has a program.

Camille Elise said...

Christin!!!! That's funny you posted this b/c i've been thinking more and more about "going green" and what i can do to help the environment. I wonder if Mesa has a plan for compost?! There are currently 7people living at my house and that adds up when you save or don't save food/energy. Good for you though for looking into it...you have inspired me. :) ...not trying to be cheesy. P.S. Michelle won't have her apt next sunday so we were wondering if it would be okay if we did our Pres. meeting at your apt. ????

indeazgirl said...

I would love it! Come on over!

Unknown said...

You should totally start to compost. It also has the bonus that my wife will be able to learn from any potential mistakes which will in turn make my life with it all that much easier. =p

indeazgirl said...

DO y'all really think that Catherine Ryan's mom wrote that first comment? Or do you think Jessica wrote that 4 minutes before she wrote her own comment. How would this girl's mom have found my blog? I'm so curious...

Jessica McIntyre said...

It wasn't me. That is CRAZY.

RC said...

I got blamed for it too and it wasn't me either. This is too weird.

Jessica McIntyre said...

You didn't even list her name is the crazy thing, because I could see if her mom googled her daughters name and it came up, that would make since. Hmmm . . . I was thinking it was your dad for a second since he is always the anonymous poster.

Sweet Em said...

What are you going to do with the compost?

indeazgirl said...

I have no idea. All I have here is concrete and rocks. I have a couple indoor plants. Maybe I'l guy a wooden planter and plant some tomatoes....