Thursday, February 28, 2008

YUCCA ROOT


It seems that quite often when I choose a recipe that doesn't look to complicated, it surprises me, and actually IS complicated. Take Rachel Ray 365 No Repeats Number 82, Cuban Sloppy Joes. We had everything for this except yucca root, plaintain chips, and dill pickles. We started out at Sunflower Market where we got yucca root, but they were out of plaintain chips. Fry's didn't have the chips either. But Whole Foods did. So an hour later, we are home, cooking up dinner. And I slice the yucca root. Having never even noticed this food before, let alone cooked with it, I didn't initially notice the softness that shouldn't have been. (This root should resemble the hardness of a rock, for future reference.) One fell apart in my hands. There was blue mold on parts of both of them. And the center of another was completely black. Gross. 
So I called Food City. I have never been in Food City. Mostly because half of the signs of the store are written in Spanish and half of the food is entirely in Spanish, and I don't like feeling that out of place. And that kind of makes me feel like a snob, but that's the truth. (It's also the closest store to our house). And the lady said, "Of course we have yucca root."
New advice: THE BEST PLACE TO BUY YUCCA ROOT IS FOOD CITY
Sunflower had about 4 of these which cost $2.69 a pound. Food City had maybe 40 which cost $1.49 and pound and were very very fresh. 
Here's me with the first Yucca Roots. By the way, dinner was actually worth it. It turned out great. It also uses an entire cup of olive oil, so get some cheap stuff before you start. And it feeds at least 4 people. 
Later!

1 comment:

bradleyjohn said...

Sometimes Christin and I are a lot alike. However, there are few places that make me feel more at home than Food City. "Why?" you might ask yourself. First, no one is going to look at me weird if I ask them where the pozole is. Second, no one is going to act stuck up around me because they think I am dressed bad or they have more money than me. Third, if I started speaking spanish there is a decent chance that I would have at least one person approach me and ask me to marry their daughter.